Friday, April 4, 2014

Turning 63

Today is my birthday and I am now 63! I look in the mirror and, yes I notice the permanent creases around my eyes, the dropping chin and extra laugh lines. All appropriate for a woman my age.

I remember reading lots of child growth and development books when my daughters were babies and they would walk you through all the stages of development from infant to kindergarten. This was helpful to mothers to determine what to expect at what age. By 6 to 8 months your infant will begin sitting on their own, for instance. Or by age 4 months they will begin teething. Well, for the aging, a "development" book would be interesting. By age 60 your mother will begin to lose muscle. Your mother will begin to lose memory, lose balance, etc. Ha. Well now, I do believe aging has changed in my lifetime. My mother, at age 63, was far more elderly than I. Her mother was quite old at age 63 and confined to a "rocking" chair for the most part.

I am 63 and energetic and feeling quite young. In fact, I may be in better shape than most 40-somethings. I am a conscientious eater, I work out and I run marathons. Of course, I do not kid myself, none of these activities "keep" you young and as I mentioned, I have all the facial lines that a senior woman should have and I have a bit more arthritis pain than ever, BUT the secret to youth is ATTITUDE. When you let the little old lady in, you become just that - a little old lady.

I enjoy this stage in my life. I have never been busier doing all the things I've put off. I recently wrote out some "bucket list" items and getting to them. We don't have any guarantees that we will live a healthy life until we die at 70, 80, 90 or 100, so today is the day to live. I will do my best to take care of my health and remember that life is short and we live to love. I praise God for allowing me to wake up each day in good health.

Okay, these are my thoughts for today.

Love today.

No comments:

Post a Comment